I had a chance to attend AffConn, an affiliate conference in Miami last week. One of the sessions that I sat in was “Marketing for Bloggers,” where four experienced bloggers shared their tips and tricks on marketing and monetizing blogs.
Here are the top tips that I gathered from the session. Thank you to Debbie Bookstaber from mamanista.com, Julie Wohlberg from SheBlogs.org, Stephanie Azzarone from Child’s Play Communications and Martie Duncan from Martie Knows Party for lending us their wisdom!
Starting Your Blog
If you’re thinking about starting a blog, pick a topic that you are passionate about. Don’t just start a blog to make money! If you write about a topic that you don’t really care about, you’ll lose interest soon and you won’t make the time to maintain and market your blog.
Marketing Your Blog
The key to a successful blog is to develop your audience. Find people who believe in what you believe in, so they will tell others about your blog.
Here are some ideas to drive traffic to your blog at a low-cost:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Connect with other bloggers through social networking sites for bloggers, such as SheBlogs.org
- Contact other bloggers to get you listed in their blogrolls
- Social media, especially through Facebook and Twitter
- Get Facebook ads for cheap
- Attend blog and marketing conferences if you can
- Distribute your content through services; see my previous post on content marketing
- Understand the blogosphere by getting to know other bloggers and posting helpful comments on other people’s blogs
- Position yourself as an expert in a specific topic and pitch yourself to local media
Monetizing Your Blog
Now that you have your blog and actually get traffic to it, how do you make money from it? Here are some ways to monetize your blog:
- Affiliate banners and links when they are relevant
- Provide unique content for different companies and charge a sponsorship fee for the content
- Add CPC or CPM ads, such as BlogAds and Google AdSense
- Get consulting gigs on your topic of expertise
- Host Twitter parties
- If you have a large following and start to become an expert in your field, charge for appearances in conferences and parties
Good luck with your affiliate blog. I would love to hear your story on how you’ve successfully marketed and monetized your blog. Please leave a comment with your tips below!Google+