Last October I attended my first BlogWorld - paired with my first trip to Las Vegas. A girl could not have been more excited! Vegas was one of those cities that I knew I’d have to see one day but never made it a priority, so when I learned that my employer wanted me to attend BlogWorld and that it was in Vegas – well I was beaming to say the least. Off I went, spare batteries packed and expectations high. I, like many other newbies, made a few mistakes that I’d like to share with any of you attending BlogWorld Expo in New York this week.
- First and foremost wear (or carry spare) sensible shoes and a comfortable bag (shoulders ache too!) If you’re anything like me you’ll be carting around a laptop, iPad, cables and spare batteries for those and iPhone, along with all the goodies you pick up on the expo floor along the way. I’m not sure how it’s going to play out in New York, but we often did not have time to stop at the hotel in Vegas before heading to some sponsored party or another, so plan accordingly when you pack that day bag!
- Don’t go to all the sessions that sound familiar. With so many choices I had the tendency to gravitate towards what I already knew, and then complained that I didn’t learn anything! If you’re a seasoned professional in the blogosphere and social media world you are smart enough to know that there’s something new to be learned from someone else every day. Step out of your confort zone and choose the panels and presentations that cover something that doesn’t necessarily speak to you at first, you might be pleasantly surprised at what you learn.
- DO attend every single event you hear about, all of them! Yes, I am an event nut but honestly this is where real conversations happen. Don’t just paddle back to your hotel room and have dinner with friends – drag them to the bigger parties and expand your network, talk to strangers and make new friends. Online relationships need offline face time to grow and further connect. Conferences like this present that ideal opportunity – don’t slack on this part, it’s as vital as any panel or presentation you might attend.
And that’s my three cents! If you’re at BlogWorld Expo in New York this week then stop on by and say “Hiiiii” to our team at the nsMobile Lounge at Booth #109. We’re building free mobile websites onsite, raffling off four iPhone 4′s, and having fun at our @Go_Granny photo booth!
What’s Network Solutions up to at BlogWorld?
- Stop by the nsMobile™ Lounge (Booth #109) to explore how to take your business mobile, May 25-26th during exhibit hours.
- Explore Top Ten Things to Do at BlogWorld, (http://www.bwetop10.mobi/) a mobile website built just for you by Network Solutions in partnership with goMobi. You don’t want to miss the special discounts on local businesses around the Javits Center (ONLY for BlogWorld attendees).
- Meet Gary Vaynerchuk, keynote speaker and author of NY Times best seller, “Thank You Economy” while tasting some Vibrant Rioja wine at the Vino and Vaynerchuk BlogWorld Opening Party co-sponsored by Network Solutions, May 24th, 7:30-9PM, 404NYC restaurant.
- Listen to “Mobile 101 for Small Business” presented by Navin Ganeshan, Chief Product Strategist, Network Solutions, and John Jantsch of Duct Tape Marketing fame, May 24th, 3:45-4:45PM.
- Learn more about “Managing Online Reputation” presented by Shashi Bellamkonda, Social Media Swami, Network Solutions, winner of multiple industry awards (PRSA, SNCR, IABC) for Social Media and Online Reputation, May 24th, 3:45-4:45PM.
- Have some fun with Network Solutions’ @Go_Granny (photos from Network Solutions’ campaign with Cloris Leachman) in the nsMobile lounge (Booth #109). You don’t want to miss an opportunity to pose with @Go_Granny.