Every year the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) has a Digital Impact conference and this year it was held at the Sentry Center in New York. My visit was a shotgun visit and I arrived at the conference just in time to see a PitchEngine demo from Jason Kintzler . Also ran into my old friend and my model for young entrepreneurs, David Spinks, Co-founder of Blog Dash and @u30pro, @thecmgr. He took a lot of good pictures of the PRSA DI 2011 Conference.
The session I attended was “The Story with Online Video” by SNCR Founding Fellow and the organization’s CFO, Kathy Klotz-Guest, who presented the details of a study that SNCR conducted about the use video for storytelling and to uncover what’s working. See the study at the SNCR website.
Top takeaways from Kathy Klotz-Guest’s talk :
- Video is used a lot for brand awareness and education
- Fun factor, quality and relevance to customer base are prime factors for success
- To be successful it should be human, humorous and under 2 minutes
- Kathy showed 2 examples of great videos that go completely offbrand – one of them is IBM and their CEO and also the Honda YouTube channel
During lunch the keynote was “Google, News and Google News: Get a Backstage Pass” by Sean Carlson (@seancarlson onTwitter), Manager of news industry relations, Google. Very engaging speaker and had a lot of good things to share with the audience. Here are a few points from his talk.
- You can search for bylined reporters in Google news. You can use Google News to search by journalist. Just type Author:”____” in search box
- There seems to be a well kept secret http://news.google.com/archivesearch
- Google News Best Practices #prdadiconf http://fb.me/N3wVKZ58
- If you put the line first reported at or first published at in the first paragraph it is a signal that the original source should rank first (if you are syndicating articles from other sites)
- Every month Google News sends more than one billion clicks to new publishers, large & small
- Google news site map is different from a regular sitemap @seancarlson classify around certain keywords and location
I presented the Network Solutions SNCR Award-Winning Case Study: “Best Practices for Online Reputation Management” . Thank you Elizabeth Albrycht, Eric Schwartzman and Jen McClure For the opportunity to present the Network Solutions Case Study at the PRSA Digital Impact Conference. Thank you to the folks who tweeted during my talk including Alissa A. Arford, Rachel Rose Belew, and Jessica Tuquero who I met first in 2008 – See my slides here:
Thank you Greg for interviewing me for http://ontherecordpodcast.com/pr/otro/default.aspxGoogle+