This month Shashi and I were asked to speak at the Small Business Tech Summit in New York City. There were many great speakers as you can see from the agenda. I have had a small business for 10 years and I learned a few new things which is why I like Ramon’s event so much. They keep it relevant, have good content and with Ramon’s trademark delivery never let it get dull. The summit had over 500 folks registered and you can see the details of the conference at http://www.smallbiztechsummit.com. You can follow the conversation on Twitter by searching the conference hashtag #smallbizsummit
Highlight: Seth Godin Keynote
This year they had Seth Godin keynote in the afternoon and I have to tell you that for never having seen him speak I can see why people pay lots of money to have him at their event and why he sells tons of books. He is that good. Granted, all of his books I haven’t liked or they just didn’t speak to me personally but I have to admit his one hour delivery that centered around his new book Linchpin (which we just reviewed yesterday) it was really informative and entertaining.
He took the audience through an informative set of info graphics and distilled being a linchpin when he described Marissa Mayer at Google. From his book “If you could write Marissa’s duties into a manual, you wouldn’t need her. But the minute you wrote it down, it wouldn’t be accurate anyway. That’s the key. She solves problems that people haven’t predicate, see things people haven’t seen and connects people who need to be connected. She is a linchpin.”
For more on his book, check out our book review of Seth’s Godin’s Lichpin.
Highlight: Small Business Tech Hot Demos
This year they had something new to fill the space between speakers and that was the Small Business Tech Hot Demos. These were new or existing companies that had a really hot technology that would benefit any small business owner. The winners were:
Broadlook Mobile Profiler
Automatically acquire accurate and more information about your contacts from the Internet, in particular social networks.
Send SMS (text) messages to customers (clients). Send to 10 clients or 500 clients. Send to all or a segmented groups.
Lexmark Pinnacle Pro901
One of the first printers with customizable applications
SugarSync for Business
Synchronize files or folders, instantly, across computers or mobile devices
Display online advertising in front of customers when they visit other popular web sites, after they’ve left your web site.
Pixability Business Video
Take video footage of your business. Send it to Pixability for creation of a professional video about your business.
Highlight: Meeting Awesome People
This year there were about 500 people and it was bigger than last year with great small business owners and those who work with small business
We met some great folks at the event and here is a list of some of them:
- Stephanie Singer of http://www.bajdesign.com @bajdesign
- Darcey howard http://www.getlifestyled.com
- Mark Grahan Rightsleeve.com
- Melton Littlepage concurbreeze.com
- Norman Schreiber normanschreiber.com
- Laurie McCabe smb-group.com @lauriemccabe
- Anne Lupton SandHillWebsiteDesign.com
- Tom O’ Shea Waspbarcode.com
- Brian Moran smallbusinessedge.com
- Mel Parker dell.com
- Alec Stern ConstantContact.com
- Prasad Thammineni OfficeDrop.com
- Land Grant growsthroots.com
- Jimmy Izquierdo RNS Marketing Inc ( advise – put your website on your card
- Dion P Kenney y2strategic.com
- Bill Manos favrav.com
- Kelley A Cox uschamber.com
- Lady from Jojo’s Jewels ( wish the website was listed on the card)
- Sri Narayana Bupan drugwrite.com
- Jagannath Raghavan 8kmiles.com
- Sara Ruh TecAccess.com
- Sylvester J Di Diego StrategyDynamix.com
- Joshua Newman Integrateny.com
Highlight: The Swami Presents his Great Social Media Presentation
Here is the presentation Shashi Bellamkonda gave at the Small Business Tech Summit New York March 16th 2010.
Highlight: Learning How to Create Killer Business Cards
I had the opportunity to present my 2010 edition of the 10 Rules for Killer Business Cards. Here it is, from Slideshare, below for your viewing and amusement. Would love to hear your feedback and thoughts on the do’s and don’ts of business cards.
Great Offer for Our Grow Smart Business Readers:
If you came to this post from a Google Alert please mention it in the comments. Follow@nsoffers on Twitter to get our amazing Social Media discounts. Current discounts:
- Webhosting is a necessity for any website: http://ow.ly/1kH2y | Use HOSTSOC001 to get 35% off nsHosting Shared! h
- Manage all of your domains in 1 place! Transfer to Network Solutions 4 $6.99 using DOMSOCIAL3 | http://ow.ly/1kGY4
- Learn About Domain Names- http://ow.ly/1kGMI | When ur ready 2 register, use DOMSOCIAL1 to get a new 1 w/ Network Solutions for $6.99
- Do you have a .Tel yet? It’s the newest way to communicate. Only $11.95 http://ow.ly/1iwai