Managing Advanced DNS RecordsMX Records (Mail Servers)
MX Records (Mail Servers)
MX ("Mail eXchange") records are used to determine the delivery route for your email. For example, if you want to host your own mail server for the domain in your account, you must specify the mail server names as MX records.
In addition, you can specify multiple mail servers and rank them by priority to respond in the event the primary mail server is not responding. Mail is delivered to the server with the lowest priority number, so your primary mail server should always have the lowest priority number. Back-up priority rankings can be set in case the primary mail server fails. If you give the same rank to different mail servers, the traffic load to those servers will be shared.
Before you begin editing MX records:
· Know the priority level and name of your mail server
· Understand that DNS updates will take up to 2 hours to take effect (updates may resolve more quickly at some locations than others because many name servers on the Internet retrieve updates at different times).
To update MX records
1. Log in to Account Manger
2. Within Account Manager, use the drop down under My Domain Names to choose the domain you’d like to manage and click the Go button
3. In the green box, select Change Where Domain Points
4. Select Advanced DNS
5. Click the Continue button
6. If the domain name was not previously pointed to Network Solutions® nameservers (DNS) you will receive a page with messaging regarding this change. If you’d like to continue, click the Move Nameservers to Network Solutions® button
7. In the Mail Servers (MX Records) section, click Edit MX Records
8. Your current MX records are listed in editable form, and any Network Solutions® service that is associated with the MX record is listed under the Mail Server text box
9. To add/edit MX records:
o Enter or edit the MX record in the Mail Server text box and its associated priority number in the Priority text box
o Click Continue
10. To delete MX records:
o To the right of the MX record, select the check box in the Delete column
o Click Continue
11. Review the list of requested changes
12. Click Continue