Web Hosting: Using File Manager
What is Network Solutions® File Manager?
File Manager® is a web-based program that allows you to completely manage your website using intuitive organization and flexibility. File management that is well-structured and easy to use is key to creating the site you want and making changes as needed. This web-based platform allows you to make changes from any computer with Internet access, without the hassle of installing FTP software..
When you have purchased Web Hosting services with File Manager, your files are organized into folders and files contained in a main directory, called htdocs (On Windows 2008 servers the root folder will be labled "www" and not "htdocs". If you purchased a Windows hosting package after 9/6/2012 you are on a Windows 2008 server.) and the tool allows you to easily upload files from your PC to your website, edit and change files currently available on your website, create new documents, and much more.
Begin using File Manager by logging into Account Manager:
If you need your log-in information, please visit:
Find Web Hosting on the left navigation, choose the hosting package, find FTP & Content Publishing > File Manager, then click htdocs. (On Windows 2008 servers the root folder will be labled "www" and not "htdocs". If you purchased a Windows hosting package after 9/6/2012 you are on a Windows 2008 server.)
You are now in your main directory and can begin managing your files.
Using the toolbar located at the top of your screen, select the actions you wish to take. Choose:
Upload: Use this selection to upload new files from your computer to your website. You can work with text files, images, compressed files, and more.
New Files: File Manager offers a content editor so that you can create new content for your website. This content can also be downloaded to your PC for other uses. New files, once saved, will automatically appear in your main directory.
New Folder: Organize your new and uploaded files into categories by adding new folders.
Search: The search tool allows you to quickly find the files or pages you need for your site.
Replace: You can replace a string of text in all of your text files simultaneously, replace content in just one file with the Expression tool, or replace words using the Whole Words only specification. You can also retain a copy of the original text by creating a .bak file.
Organizing Your Files and Folders
The center of the screen in File Manager will display your directory, with all named files and folders. It also details information about each one, including:
- View: this selection opens a specific file or folder
- Name: The names of the files and folders are displayed here, and you can sort by clicking on the heading.
- Size: Lists the size of each file, click to sort by size
- File Type: Lets you know if the file is a text file, an image, or other type of file
- Modified: See when files were last changed, added, or altered in this column
- Permissions: This function allows you to view or change the permissions granted to the file or folder (UNIX ONLY).
Working with a Selected File or Folder
You can select one or multiple files to work with by using the Command Bar, located along the bottom of the screen. The functions here include:
- Edit: Change content on a specific file
- Download: Move files from your File Manager to your local computer, then you can choose to keep a copy in the File Manager or delete it.
- Copy: Make another copy of a file or folder
- Delete: Remove a file or folder from the directory
- Move: Select one or more files to move from one directory to another
- CHMOD: Allows you to change the permissions for a file or folder
- Diff: For text-based files, use this function to compare differences between two files
- Print: Get a hard copy of one or more files, in separate documents or as one
More about File Manager
This overview details the functionality of File Manager, showing you how you can work seamlessly to have the content and images you want on your website and easily change and add items as needed. For more detailed user instructions on each function or to learn more about the tools, please visit:
File Manager Details and Set-up Guide:
Frequently Asked Questions:
Video Demonstration of File Manager:
Or, contact a Network Solutions® Customer Service Representative 24/7 via e-mail or by calling 1.800.333.7680.