Sitting on board the train on my way back from New York after a short, but valuable trip, and recounting my evening activities for you all! As Shashi is currently in five other cities as I type (yes, he’s magic like that) I was honored to represent Network Solutions on our behalf — proud recipients of an Honorable Mention in the Awards — and to accept Shashi’s individual Award also.
Guests gathered at the New York Institute of Technology on Broadway for an evening of networking with open bar and passed hors d’oeuvres, and an entertaining Awards Ceremony — as only Ramon Ray and Anita Campbell can produce — followed by the ‘Blackberry Lounge’ reception. As the individual winners took the stage to accept their awards they were asked to share what being a small business influencer meant to them, what small business meant to them, or a tip they wanted to share. With all the wonderful talent in the room it was undoubtedly a pleasure to hear from them, some of which I’d like to share with you:
- Small business is the back bone of our economy, it’s on these backs that we’ll ride out this tough recession and make America stronger than it’s ever been
- Here’s to those of you who shunned Plan B and succeeded at your dreams, Plan A all the way!
- Don’t forget to take your own advice, we are all so great at giving it but we often forget to listen to our own wise words
- It’s all about giving, if you focus on giving the receiving will come back around in due time
- To succeed in small business you must be open to collaboration
- For those of you sitting there still dreaming about it your time has come, just do it. I was most impressed by John Lawson’s statement on how as a high school dropout he hopes our educators stop teaching kids how to work for people and start teaching them how to work for themselves.